Quote

Language is the blood of the soul into which thoughts run and out of which they grow. - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Welcome To... Frank Miller's Sin City



Everyone likes to watch movies, so for my carte blanche blog I decided to talk about one of them. I was watching the Oscars yesterday and thought about the movies that I thoroughly enjoyed in 2010-2011. Oddly enough, there weren’t many, which got me thinking about all the movies that I had ever enjoyed. One name came to mind: Sin City. My favorite genres are comedy and action as a result of that the list I came up with was: The Departed, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir dogs, Sin city, and The Hangover. Naturally I had to pick a movie that people were less likely to have watched, for it’s dull to read about a movie that you’ve already. Well, not necessarily but the purpose of this blog is to make you watch the movie I’m going to talk about and if you’ve already seen it then it ruins the purpose. So, with that in mind I figured that most people had seen The Hangover, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and The Departed, which left me with Sin City. I had talked about Sin City with numerous friends and most them hadn’t gotten around to see it yet. So, I encourage you to read this blog and if you’re a true action fan this should capture you interest.  

            Sin City was directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank miller with special Guest director Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir dogs, Kill Bill, and many more). This movie was nothing short of spectacular! Of course expectations were already high when the cast of the movie was revealed: Jessica Alba, Benicio Del Toro, Mickey Rourke, Rosario Dawson, Clive Owen, and Bruce Willis. One of the amazing things about this movie is that it doesn’t rely on its actors to make a brilliant film; the scenery, the neo-noir effect, and designs are outstanding. The film is based on Frank Miller’s comics which is why the movie is divided into three different stories; “ The Hard Goodbye, about a man who embarks on a brutal rampage in search of his one-time sweetheart's killer; The Big Fat Kill, which focuses on a street war between a group of prostitutes and a group of mercenaries; and That Yellow Bastard, which follows an aging police officer who protects a young woman from a grotesquely disfigured serial killer.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_City_(film)). The violence in this movie is substantial as well as absolutely remarkable. With the list of big names it came to no surprise that the actors portrayed their characters beautifully; Mickey Rourke plays the role of a deranged man who is looking for his ‘lover’s’ murderer, Bruce Willis plays a cop who is constantly looking for justice, and Benicio Del Toro plays a drunk who likes to show his superiority over others.  However, the visual effects are what make this movie one of my favorite films of all time. The movie, just like the comics, is shot in black and white with small hints of color whenever deemed appropriate. (See picture 1). This made Sin City a film unlike anything I had ever seen before.
            Although this is an amazing movie, the action is quite graphic as well as dark so many people may not be able to handle it. Having said that, if you are an action fan then watching Sin City will be 2 hours of paradise. The violence isn’t simply there to show guns and stunts, but to develop the characters and the story. Sin City changed my whole perception of a good action movie, and the bar is set high for those who want to be in my list of top three best action movies of all time. Ironically, my three favorite action movies are Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Sin City which are all directed by Quentin Torantino. So, if you didn’t like the other two there is a good chance you won’t like Sin City either. All I can say is that it’s a movie shot in a way that I have never encountered before, especially because of the neo-noir. I’m now eagerly waiting for Sin City 2…
  Picture 1:

No comments:

Post a Comment