Quote

Language is the blood of the soul into which thoughts run and out of which they grow. - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pastiche


The Protagonist of Hunger writes about the U.S and Iraq.
            What the hell did they accomplish? U.S intelligence was told that there were weapons of mass destructions located in Iraq so they decided to go there. Upon arrival they discovered that their intelligence was wrong. Yet, they stayed anyways! Everyday thousands and thousands of Americans are dying; not to mention that fact that they spent $733 billion into a mission who’s goal cannot be achieved. No, sorry it did have an achievable goal. According to George W. Bush, it was to free the Iraqi people. Does he not wonder what people will think of him? He is not freeing the Iraqi people he’s killing them everyday! Why are they still there? There is unquestionable evidence that there are no weapons of mass destruction, Sadam Hussain is dead, and The U.S has lost over $700 billion. Bush then goes on to say that they are there because they cannot leave the Iraq in chaos. Well, I doubt it can be more chaotic than thousands of people dying everyday! Wow, that lady is so pretty. If she was a princess and I was a prince I would ask her to marry me in a heartbeat. No, Stay focused! Unless this paper gets me some money, I will have to go yet another day without food. Actually, this paper is quite amazing; I should make some money for this. Or is it too direct? Will people think I’m too one sided about this topic? Anyhow, it doesn’t matter. I am not going to change my beliefs simply because it will entertain and interest people I don’t even know. This paper represents what I want to say! And that is what’s important. This dreadful and hopeless day now seems quite fabulous and full of opportunities. 

3 comments:

  1. Akash,
    I can see how you tried to imitate the protagonist's style by asking a lot of rhetorical questions. Especially in the first part of your pastiche I find that you overused them a little bit, even though it made me understand that it's Hamsun's style you're trying to write in. You also tried to show the reader that it's Hamsun's style by bringing the confusion of the narrator in Hunger into your text. You wrote your piece as if it was part of the book 'Hunger', which is a hard challenge. I think that the fact that you're writing the text out, which he considers to become a paper that will give him money to eat, isn't like the protagonist would do it. Remember that when the man in the book writes his ten kroner piece, we don't know what exactly it is that he wrote.
    You talked about a lady that he imagines to be a princess. You did a nice try imitating the author's style even though I found it to be a little too abrupt and random. Maybe if you had talked about this woman a little bit more, it would have been great.
    The self-doubting that you bring in to your pastiche is nicely done.
    Good job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Akash,
    Your post was very interesting to read because there are some elements that i think do not mimick Hamsun's style. For most of your pastiche, you use figures and many names and details of the US and Iraq war. Somehow, I don't think that the protagonist would know all these details or even care about them. i feel that the protagonist is a very selfish, stubborn character and everything he talks about must someway relate to him. What do you think? Maybe think about how does the US and Iraq war affects HIM? I do like how you used questions; i feel this device is used by Hamsun all the time throughout the book. I also love the distraction of the girl. This is great! I can totally see his mind drifting away to the girl. Additionally, it is excellent how you mentioned a statement of him being concerned of what society may perceive of him: "Will people think I'm too one-sided about this topic?"
    Overall, you have mentioned some elements that I do see Hamsun using but put more of the protagonist in it! Show his character a bit more wildly and expressively when you talk about the US and Iraq war. Altogether, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there!
    While I appreciate your stance on the topic, it seems like you writing about your opinion on it rather than as Hamsun in the voice of the protagonist. Yes, your opinion is strong, and yes, the protagonist also has strong opinions and reactions, but I know it's you. I can see how you tried to imitate the protagonist's extreme moods, but you did it in a way that does not take into account Hamsun's sentence and writing structure. You are also very sarcastic and use a lot of interjections ("No, sorry..." "Wow") and a lot of rhetorical questions, elements that are not present to such an extent or at all in the novel.
    I also appreciate your attempt to imitate the character's nature, how he is so easily distracted. But the way you do it makes it seem like it was just an afterthought. I realize that this is a compressed piece with a limited amount of words, but, as easily distracted as Hamsun's protagonist is, Hamsun does not make it this obvious.
    All in all, I appreciate your opinion, and it seems like this is just that; your opinion, with some extreme references to Hunger thrown in as an afterthought. I think you could write a really great pastiche; just make sure that you write as the character, as Hamsun, and not as yourself.

    ReplyDelete